To ease your site search, article categories are at bottom of page.

February 01, 2012

Nigerian regional government in rice cultivation deal with Spanish investors


The government of Kwara State in Nigeria has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with investors from Spain to develop rice cultivation, processing and packaging. The deal is said to be 'worth 70 billion Nigerian Naira' (1US$ = 163₦ ).'

The state government is to provide 30 per cent of the total cost, including 20, 000 hectares of land. The Spanish investors are to provide the remaining 70 per cent of the total cost of the investment for the period of four years.

The Spanish company and the representatives of Kwara state government agreed that the investment will be in stages. The company is to invest 70 million Euros annually for the period of four years, making a total investment of 280 million Euros. Based on the agreement, the state government will allocate 5,000 hectares of land for the process for each stage.It is expected that each stage of 5,000 hectares of land is expected to yield 40,000 tonnes of rice annually.


more...This Day

Article Categories

AGRA agribusiness agrochemicals agroforestry aid Algeria aloe vera Angola aquaculture banana barley beans beef bees Benin biodiesel biodiversity biof biofuel biosafety biotechnology Botswana Brazil Burkina Faso Burundi CAADP Cameroon capacity building cashew cassava cattle Central African Republic cereals certification CGIAR Chad China CIMMYT climate change cocoa coffee COMESA commercial farming Congo Republic conservation agriculture cotton cow pea dairy desertification development disease diversification DRCongo drought ECOWAS Egypt Equatorial Guinea Ethiopia EU EUREPGAP events/meetings exports fa fair trade FAO fertilizer finance fisheries floods flowers food security fruit Gabon Gambia gender issues Ghana GM crops grain green revolution groundnuts Guinea Bissau Guinea Conakry HIV/AIDS honey hoodia horticulture ICIPE ICRAF ICRISAT IFAD IITA imports India infrastructure innovation inputs investment irrigation Ivory Coast jatropha kenaf keny Kenya khat land deals land management land reform Lesotho Liberia Libya livestock macadamia Madagascar maize Malawi Mali mango marijuana markets Mauritania Mauritius mechanization millet Morocco Mozambique mushroom Namibia NEPAD Niger Nigeria organic agriculture palm oil pastoralism pea pest control pesticides pineapple plantain policy issues potato poultry processing productivity Project pyrethrum rai rain reforestation research rice rivers rubber Rwanda SADC Sao Tome and Principe seed seeds Senegal sesame Seychelles shea butter Sierra Leone sisal soil erosion soil fertility Somalia sorghum South Africa South Sudan Southern Africa spices standards subsidies Sudan sugar sugar cane sustainable farming Swaziland sweet potato Tanzania tariffs tea tef tobacco Togo tomato trade training Tunisia Uganda UNCTAD urban farming value addition value-addition vanilla vegetables water management weeds West Africa wheat World Bank WTO yam Zambia Zanzibar zero tillage Zimbabwe

  © 2007 Africa News Network design by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP