To ease your site search, article categories are at bottom of page.

July 16, 2008

Mozambique approves $280 million sugar cane-based biofuel project

Mozambique has approved a $280-million agricultural project to produce ethanol from sugar cane.

Luis Covane, Mozambique's deputy Education and Culture minister, said the project was expected to produce about 2,5-million tons of sugar cane each year, from which 213-million litres of ethanol would be produced annually.

"Production will begin in 2012 and will generate 82,5 MW of power and create 2 650 jobs and we have also allocated 18 000 hectares of land to the implementing company, Mozambique Principle Energy, which has Mauritian interests", Covane said.

He said 20 percent of the power output would be exported and the remaining 80 percent had been earmarked for national use.

"We expect to generate an annual revenue of $57-million in 2011, another $119-million the following year and $114 in 2013."

The project will be launched in Dombe district in the central Manica province.

In 2007, the government approved a $510-million biofuels project in the southern Gaza province to produce 120-million litres of ethanol by 2010.

The project, known as PROCANA, will also create 7 000 jobs and an annual revenue of $40-million as of 2010.

Complete construction of the factory, by a Brazilian contractor, is expected to take three years.

Engineering News

Article Categories

AGRA agribusiness agrochemicals agroforestry aid Algeria aloe vera Angola aquaculture banana barley beans beef bees Benin biodiesel biodiversity biof biofuel biosafety biotechnology Botswana Brazil Burkina Faso Burundi CAADP Cameroon capacity building cashew cassava cattle Central African Republic cereals certification CGIAR Chad China CIMMYT climate change cocoa coffee COMESA commercial farming Congo Republic conservation agriculture cotton cow pea dairy desertification development disease diversification DRCongo drought ECOWAS Egypt Equatorial Guinea Ethiopia EU EUREPGAP events/meetings expo exports fa fair trade FAO fertilizer finance fisheries floods flowers food security fruit Gabon Gambia gender issues Ghana GM crops grain green revolution groundnuts Guinea Bissau Guinea Conakry HIV/AIDS honey hoodia horticulture hydroponics ICIPE ICRAF ICRISAT IFAD IITA imports India infrastructure innovation inputs investment irrigation Ivory Coast jatropha kenaf keny Kenya khat land deals land management land reform Lesotho Liberia Libya livestock macadamia Madagascar maiz maize Malawi Mali mango marijuana markets Mauritania Mauritius mechanization millet Morocco Mozambique mushroom Namibia NEPAD Niger Nigeria organic agriculture palm oil pastoralism pea pest control pesticides pineapple plantain policy issues potato poultry processing productivity Project pyrethrum rai rain reforestation research rice rivers rubber Rwanda SADC Sao Tome and Principe seed seeds Senegal sesame Seychelles shea butter Sierra Leone sisal soil erosion soil fertility Somalia sorghum South Africa South Sudan Southern Africa spices standards subsidies Sudan sugar sugar cane sustainable farming Swaziland sweet potato Tanzania tariffs tea tef tobacco Togo tomato trade training Tunisia Uganda UNCTAD urban farming value addition value-addition vanilla vegetables water management weeds West Africa wheat World Bank WTO yam Zambia Zanzibar zero tillage Zimbabwe

  © 2007 Africa News Network design by Ourblogtemplates.com

Back to TOP