To ease your site search, article categories are at bottom of page.

July 05, 2010

Fall in value of euro hurts Kenya's export-dependent horticulture sector

The raging Greek debt crisis has filtered into Kenya’s horticultural industry, causing foreign exchange losses running into billions of shillings as the country reassesses its overdependence on the turbulent European Union market.

Players say the crisis that has battered investor confidence across Europe and pushed the euro to its lowest level in 13 months has significantly eroded their earnings, delaying their recovery from other recent shocks like drought, the global financial crisis and the recent export interruption by the Iceland volcano eruption.

Kenya sells 82 per cent of her horticultural exports in EU countries where payment is made in the euro, leaving only 18 per cent to the dollar dominated destinations of US, Middle East, Japan and Russia.

For many years, the industry has relied on the stability of the euro to navigate through tough economic times, including the global economic crisis of last year. “It is not easy for the industry to come to terms with a falling euro because for a long time investors have relied on its attractiveness to grow,” said Jane Ngige, the Kenya Flower Council CEO.

The economic turbulence in Greece, triggered by a deep fiscal crisis after the country’s public debt rose to 115 per cent GDP, has changed the tide against the euro, weakening it against other world currencies, including the Kenya shilling.

Business Daily Africa

Article Categories

AGRA agribusiness agrochemicals agroforestry aid Algeria aloe vera Angola aquaculture banana barley beans beef bees Benin biodiesel biodiversity biof biofuel biosafety biotechnology Botswana Brazil Burkina Faso Burundi CAADP Cameroon capacity building cashew cassava cattle Central African Republic cereals certification CGIAR Chad China CIMMYT climate change cocoa coffee COMESA commercial farming Congo Republic conservation agriculture cotton cow pea dairy desertification development disease diversification DRCongo drought ECOWAS Egypt Equatorial Guinea Ethiopia EU EUREPGAP events/meetings expo exports fa fair trade FAO fertilizer finance fisheries floods flowers food security fruit Gabon Gambia gender issues Ghana GM crops grain green revolution groundnuts Guinea Bissau Guinea Conakry HIV/AIDS honey hoodia horticulture hydroponics ICIPE ICRAF ICRISAT IFAD IITA imports India infrastructure innovation inputs investment irrigation Ivory Coast jatropha kenaf keny Kenya khat land deals land management land reform Lesotho Liberia Libya livestock macadamia Madagascar maiz maize Malawi Mali mango marijuana markets Mauritania Mauritius mechanization millet Morocco Mozambique mushroom Namibia NEPAD Niger Nigeria organic agriculture palm oil pastoralism pea pest control pesticides pineapple plantain policy issues potato poultry processing productivity Project pyrethrum rai rain reforestation research rice rivers rubber Rwanda SADC Sao Tome and Principe seed seeds Senegal sesame Seychelles shea butter Sierra Leone sisal soil erosion soil fertility Somalia sorghum South Africa South Sudan Southern Africa spices standards subsidies Sudan sugar sugar cane sustainable farming Swaziland sweet potato Tanzania tariffs tea tef tobacco Togo tomato trade training Tunisia Uganda UNCTAD urban farming value addition value-addition vanilla vegetables water management weeds West Africa wheat World Bank WTO yam Zambia Zanzibar zero tillage Zimbabwe

  © 2007 Africa News Network design by

Back to TOP